Kale salad with dried cherries and cashews

My head is swirling today. There’s a lot going on. A LOT. But it’s of the variety that makes more sense to keep under wraps in case things don’t pan out. Lest any rumors get started, I am not pregnant. Just putting it out there.

We have a lot on our plate, but thankfully we finished off our wedding season last weekend so at least that has calmed down. Now that we’re not chowing down on takeout every weekend, I’m looking forward to some healthy eating (minus holiday celebrations, which are always sans diet). Motivation to workout is high and time is more plentiful, two key components.

Whenever I visit Joy’s site it seems that she’s managed to worm her way into my head and pluck out the exact thing I want to eat RIGHT NOW. This recipe was no exception, and when I realized it came by way of Deb from Smitten Kitchen (another one of my favorite food bloggers who just released a gorgeous cookbook, which I’m patiently waiting to receive at Christmas. TIA parents-in-law) it went immediately on my next menu.

Kale, cherries and cashews in a tangy vinaigrette. Yes, please! Is this really diet food? My only tweak was to axe the goat cheese, because Hubster and I are not fans. I know we’re in the minority so I left the recipe untouched below save for scaling it down to two servings. (Never mess with greatness, right?)

So that’s me right now: workout motivation is high, lots of opportunities on the horizon (!!!) but I’m keeping mum (Such a tease. Sorry.) What is going on with you?

Kale, Cherry and Cashew Salad
From Smitten Kitchen by way of Joy the Baker

4 cups kale
2 radishes
1/4 cup roasted and salted cashews
1/3 cup dried cherries
1 – 2oz soft goat cheese, chilled and crumbled
salt and pepper
1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
¾ Tbsp white wine vinegar
½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
¾ tsp honey

Tear kale into bite sized pieces, removing the woody stems. Wash and dry using a salad spinner. Place in a bowl and lightly massage. Thinly slice radishes and chop cashews. Add radishes and cashews to the bowl along with the cherries and goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over the salad and toss to coat.

The Meaning of Me - November 29, 2012 - 4:20 pm

Thank you – the answer to my dilemma about what to do with the leftover kale in my fridge. I actually have every other thing in the house so that’s tomorrow’s lunch! OH, wait – no radishes. Boo.

Peter - November 30, 2012 - 11:56 am

You had me at cherries and cashews, and then there was goat cheese. Everything is better with goat cheese! Yummy… but it is lunchtime.

Julia - December 1, 2012 - 8:39 am

This looks delicious!! I love finding new ways to use kale..and I have that dijon mustard (if it is the stuff from Trader Joes?). Yum!

ModernMealsForTwo - December 2, 2012 - 3:12 pm

I’m slightly obsessed with kale right now and this is a favorite :) I hope you like it.

ModernMealsForTwo - December 2, 2012 - 3:12 pm

It’s so good! Do you have any good kale recipes?

ModernMealsForTwo - December 2, 2012 - 3:13 pm

I really hope you made this sans radish. Of course, they add something but the rest of the ingredients are the star!

The Meaning of Me - December 3, 2012 - 8:38 pm

Lunch today, sans radishes. Delicious! Hub’s at the store now for a few itesm which will include a new bunch of kale and radishes to make again for tomorrow. :)

ModernMealsForTwo - December 4, 2012 - 2:27 pm

You are winning at life right now, friend! :)

The Meaning of Me - December 4, 2012 - 11:20 pm

Is it wrong that this is now my every day lunch? I really love this. Messed it up again today, though – no radishes (despite the Hub’s trip to the store last night) and forgot the honey in the dressing – whoops! Oh, and added some herbed feta – only my favorite thing. Still. Awesome.

ModernMealsForTwo - December 7, 2012 - 8:46 am

Not at all. I’ve actually been craving this recipe. All I need is another bunch of kale and radishes. I love that everything else are pantry items :)

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

There was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.